Monday 19 May 2008

Stress Power


When I tell my students how important word stress is, they show surprise perhaps it is because of our different stress pattern.
When you are speaking English, the words you stress can change the underlying meaning of a sentence. Have a look at the following sentence:
I don't think he should get the job.
This simple sentence can have many levels of meaning based on the word you stress. Consider the meaning of the following sentences with the stressed word in bold. Read each sentence aloud and give a strong stress to the word in bold:
I don't think he should get the job.
Meaning: Somebody else thinks he should get the job.
I don't think he should get the job.
Meaning: It's not true that I think he should get the job.
I don't think he should get that job.
Meaning: That's not really what I mean. OR I'm not sure he'll get that job.
I don't think he should get that job.
Meaning: Somebody else should get that job.
I don't think he should get that job.
Meaning: In my opinion it's wrong that he's going to get that job.
I don't think he should get that job.
Meaning: He should have to earn (be worthy of, work hard for) that job.
I don't think he should get that job.
Meaning: He should get another job.
I don't think he should get that job.
Meaning: Maybe he should get something else instead.

As you can see, there are many different ways this sentence can be understood. The important point to remember is that the true meaning of the sentence is also expressed through the stressed word or words.

Exercise: Write out a number of sentences. Read each of them stressing a different word each time you read them. Notice how the meaning changes depending on which word you stress. Don't be afraid to exaggerate the stress, in English we often use this device to add meaning to a sentence. It's very possible that when you think you are exaggerating, it will sound quite natural to native speakers.

No comments: